5 replies, 3 voices Last updated by TeamKomando:John 4 years ago
Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies

Judy Nelson
      @JMDN

I have Windows 10 and lately have been having trouble watching videos from some online classes I subscribe to. I called the Geek Squad, but their wait time for someone to help was 193 minutes! I use Viasat as our internet subscriber. My computer has been running slowly the last week or so and I’ve cleaned the browsing data, but still no more speed. I’m wondering if there’s a way I can watch the videos (art classes) without getting two or three seconds, then waiting, then getting a few more seconds to watch. The latest video was 2 hours long, and it would have taken me days to watch, if I could have, the way things are now. Any help would be appreciated. I’m not a very ‘with it’ computer user so complete, easy instructions would be appreciated.
      Thanks, Judy

Komando Community
      Participant
      @KomandoCommunity

Hi Judy.

Are you able to tell if it is a buffering issue (internet) rather than a memory issue (computer hardware) that is causing the problem? You mentioned your computer was so, so it was not clear if it was the internet connection or not.

If it is the internet connection, you might try rebooting your modem/router. If you are using WiFi, connect directly into your modem/router instead if possible. This will speed up your connection. If it is only happening with this one site, it could be an issue on their end too.

If everything seems slow, try rebooting your computer and keep what you open to a minimum. Just open your browser and go right to where you would watch a video. Does it still happen? You can also try using another browser.

One other thing, if you right-click the video there may be a save-as option that allows you to download it. This may be disabled, depending on their settings. Worth a try!

Hope that helps!

Judy Nelson
      @JMDN

Yes, it’s buffering. The video will start then stop, while the little circle in the middle keeps going. Sometimes it will come back on its own, sometimes it stops to where I have to click to get it going again. I just rebooted the modem/router the other day when I was talking with the internet provider. It didn’t make any difference. I completely turn my computer off each time I’m through with it. I can’t view the videos live at all. Yesterday, I was finally able to view the video for that day about 2 1/2 hours after it started. It’s being filmed in CA and I’m in TX so the time difference, but still nothing live….only after it’s completely finished with the live show.
      Thanks for your help. Is there anything else I should try?

Komando Community
      Participant
      @KomandoCommunity

Are you able to try it from another device? I would reach out to the company. Perhaps they have had other customers experience this issue and have a solution or alternate method to access the videos.

Judy Nelson
      @JMDN

This happens with any video I try to watch. I guess I’ll just have to try the Geek Squad again. Thanks

TeamKomando:John
      Participant
      @264458

Hello Judy,

It seems that the source of your issue is your Internet Service Provider, Viasat.

https://community.viasat.com/viasat/topics/cant-watch-streaming-movies

Depending on which plan you have you might be hitting your bandwidth cap and everything you stream is being throttled, a user in that forum topic I linked stated using a VPN has made streaming less of a struggle. Might be in your best interest to try using a VPN service if Viasat is your only option for high speed internet.

Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be a Komando Community member to reply to this post. Sign up or log in.