7 replies, 2 voices Last updated by TeamKomando:John 2 years, 11 months ago
Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies

Diane Terry
      Participant
      @howdyCAT

I just installed a new modem and router to replace the Xfinity/comcast modem/router setup that I was renting. I installed an Eero router system and an Arris Surfboard Sb8200 modem. Everything hooked up great. I have way faster internet now, etc But…I have tried to connect my desktop computer with the ethernet connection and there is no internet connection! The Arris has 2 openings for ethernets and one is occupied by my Eero router But when I tried to connect my desktop computer in the other ethernet on the modem, it shows no connection! Everything wirelessly works great except for the wired ethernet to my desktop computer. Do I need 2 separate IP addresses for both of them to work or do I have to Bridge the modem? Please Help!!!!!!

TeamKomando:John
      Participant
      @264458

Hello Diane,

Regarding the cable modem’s second ethernet port the SB8200 is a MODEM, not a router The second ethernet port allows this modem to support “speeds” above 1 gigabit per second (Gbps). To take advantage of this you need a router with a feature called port aggregation.

If you are not paying for internet faster than 1 Gigabit per second, then disregard the second port on the cable modem.

You will want to plug your computer into the eero device’s second ethernet port.

Diane Terry
        Participant
        @howdyCAT

Dear John,
        I plugged the ethernet cable from my computer to the eero’s second opening for ethernet and it still says no internet connection. I tried different ethernet cables, too to no avail….I rebooted the computer but still nothing. I disconnected the arris modem and reconnected to the internet and the computer still shows nothing. The eero device is connected only…..help!!!

Participant
      @264458

Hello Diane,

As a test, you should turn off your computer, unplug the cable modem’s power. Disconnect the ethernet that is connecting the Eero to the cable modem and wire the cable modem directly to your computer.

Then power everything on, now you can test if your computer can get online. If it does not then you may have an issue with your computer’s networking that would need further troubleshooting.

If it does get online then power everything off again, wire the cable modem to your eero ethernet port 1. Wire your PC to the Eero on ethernet port 2, then power everything back on and you should be online.

Let us know how it goes, best of luck.

Diane Terry
        Participant
        @howdyCAT

Dear John,

The computer showed an internet connection just fine when I did what you said by powering everything off and turning the pc back on by itself. I then did what you said by powering everything off again and plugged the eero ethernet into the #1 slot on the modem and plugged the ethernet of the computer into the ethernet slot on the eero. So there is an ethernet into the eero from eero and ethernet from pc into eero and the internet on pc computer will not show any internet connection. Do I have to contact xfinity/comcast to see if they have to free up something on there end in order for me to get internet to my computer? Also, you mentioned port 1 on the eero? There are no port 1 or 2 indicated on the eero, just 2 open ethernet ports. Also, my modem that I had with xfinity/comcast was a modem/router in one and now I have a modem and separate router. Is there something on there end that could be causing a problem?

Participant
      @264458

Hello Diane,

The next test will be to move the ethernet cable going to your modem over to the second Eero Ethernet port. This test will allow us to verify if the port is even working.

Now power cycle your cable modem along with the Eero router, wait a few minutes to see if your Wi-Fi starts working. if it does not then there is an issue with the second ethernet port on the Eero router.

If the Internet is working over Wi-FI, now try plugging your computer into the first port on the Eero. If this does not work then you could attempt factory defaulting the Eero device while keeping your computer plugged into it.

If initializing the setup from factory default does not get your computer connected to the internet then the Eero device may be faulty. Note: do not use Bridge mode if asked when performing the initial setup after factory resetting your Eero.

Click here for information on resetting Eero.

Click here for support information from Eero.

Click here for this specific issue on Eero.com

Diane Terry
        Participant
        @howdyCAT

Dearest John,

I actually got to talk to a person at xfinity and we tried to trace down what is going on with my PC. It wouldn’t connect through several trys so I suggested and the tech suggested hooking up a laptop that I have and see if that works and low and behold……the laptop connected perfectly with the ethernet cable to eero!!! I guess my old PC is going to get dropped kicked out the door! Ha! I’m so sorry that I got you working so hard but your were over the top fantastic in trying to help me solve the problem. Thank you so much for all of your tech help. And give a shout out to Kim Komando for helping me initially figure out what modem and router to purchase. Now my house has fantastic streaming abilities!!!! Have a great day! 🙂

Participant
      @264458

Hello Diane,

Glad to hear you were able to get the problem sorted, possibly performing a clean install of Windows 10 on your computer will get things sorted out.

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be a Komando Community member to reply to this post. Sign up or log in.