4 replies, 2 voices Last updated by Connie Bruni 1 years, 2 months ago
Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies

Connie Bruni
      Participant
      @Connieb48083

This is my former primary home office laptop being resurrected to give me internet access in another area of my house. Dell doesn’t carry RAM for it any longer. I should’ve upgraded it years ago when I had the chance. It takes forever to boot up. Just plain slow all the way around. Short of reformatting and reloading operating system, is there a software product that I can run on it to help clean up / clear up / speed up processing? Suggestions appreciated.

TeamKomando:John
      Participant
      @264458

Hello Connie Bruni,

Tap or click here to see about the maximum capacity your laptop supports along with information on how to upgrade the RAM.

If the laptop is running anything older than Windows 10 I recommend trying out Chrome Flex OS, we have a write up on how to get it going here on Komando.com

Connie Bruni
      Participant
      @Connieb48083

Thanks for response, but again, Dell no longer carries the type of RAM this Vostro uses. I could add additional if I could find it. I had no luck when I searched some time back; that was when no one had any memory chips of any kind due to supply chain issues. DELL said it’s no longer available. It is a Win10 laptop. This is why I’m looking for other options. I’ll look again to see if I can find source for RAM, but I’m not very hopeful. So, I ask again… if I can’t find RAM, any other ideas on what can be done to speed it up?

TeamKomando:John
      Participant
      @264458

Hey Connie,

The site I linked you to says your laptop supports up to 8GB of ram, it also links you to a 4GB memory module available for purchase from 3 different vendors.

You should only add memory if you currently have only 4GB installed. Here is how you can check to see how much memory you have installed.

If your laptop is using a Hard Disk Drive and not an SSD, then upgrading to an SSD would be another option.

Here is a relatively cheap 512GB SSD
      Here is a USB to SATA cable that would allow you to clone your existing Operating system to the SSD

If you go this route you can use Macrium Reflect to clone your disk.

Alternative ways to speed up your computer recommend by Komando.com

Connie Bruni
      Participant
      @Connieb48083

John @264458 – Thank you so much for taking the time. All good info. The thing that really threw me was the price on the RAM at the sites you provided. SO CHEAP!(Is it good?) When I last looked into it, it was going to be almost $400 to upgrade & that was only the modules. I can change out modules but when it comes to the harddrive and cloning and then the rest of BIOS etc that would probably need attn if I upgraded to SSD… that’s outside my comfort level. Would probably have to find someone who could do it for less than an arm and a leg, lol. But, thanks again for info provided. I’ll be looking at and considering it all.

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be a Komando Community member to reply to this post. Sign up or log in.