dfhjr
Participant
@dfhjr

John,

Thanks for getting back to me.

The Dell BIOS F12 diagnostics flags a SMART error on the SSD as does CrystalDiskInfo (been using it for years). I will look into the other software you mentioned.

My dilemma stems out of a Belarc report which shows the SSD is not SMART capable: “NVMe INTEL MEMPEK1W01 [Hard drive] — drive 1, s/n PHBT726400J0016D, Not SMART”. It is an older machine and I haven’t been able to find definitively whether the age NVMe I have supports SMART.

I did a number of Windows 10 upgrades around the first of the month (apparently including a number of Intel updates), and about that time turned on the Power Option “speed up cold boot” which apparently uses the SSD as a part of its boot up process. Shortly after that, I received a fatal boot error that my SATA drive had failed. It was replaced and I am in the process of rebuilding the system from back ups (use of a back up image didn’t work because the HDD brand changed the drivers so I’m reloading files and reinstalling software). When I placed the old drive into a USB carriage, I discovered it can be accessed, no problems.

Subsequently, I discovered the BIOS F12 diagnostics flagging the SMART failure (other diagnostic tests pass) and verified it with CrystalDiskInfo. I wonder whether or not the SSD is SMART capable, and if not whether the Intel updates may have marked it as SMART capable resulting in the diagnostics reading random junk.

Again, thanks.

Take care, stay well,
don