8 replies, 6 voices Last updated by Komando Community 4 years, 6 months ago
Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies

dittywitty
      Participant
      @dittywitty

I saw there was a update on my computer for Win 10, version 1903. I don’t know whether I should download and install it with all the things I have read lately. Should I?????

Komando Community
      Participant
      @KomandoCommunity

We just posted an article on Komando.com about this update:

“Microsoft released update KB4515384 in response to user reports of CPU activity spiking unnecessarily on Windows 10 computers, which created significant slowdowns and unexpected behavior. The patch, however, managed to break several of the most commonly used features in Windows 10 and caused an uproar online over Microsoft’s poor quality control.”

Keep reading on Komando.com: https://www.komando.com/happening-now/596553/latest-windows-10-update-may-be-the-worst-yet-heres-why

dittywitty
      Participant
      @dittywitty

I read that article and I have NOT updated to this latest Window 10 version 1903. Do I update it and then look at info for KB4515384. I am thinking I should NOT update this version 1903. Please Help me make decision.

Jake Russo
      @jake

Hi,

It probably won’t hurt to wait, as any critical security patches will be pushed to your computer regardless of weather you want them or not. It would be smart to Google your computer’s model number along with the name of the update (Win 10 1903) or the more specific update number and see if you see any reports of issues with your specific machine.

My understanding of why Microsoft’s quality control of their own software is so bad is because of it’s versatility. Windows can work on just about anything, so it’d be impossible for their team to test the software on every imaginable configuration. Even with this said, they can definitely up their game in that department.

Anyway, I hope I was of service!

—Jake

TeamKomando:Amber
      @amber

Hi everyone!

For clarification I wanted to add that Windows 10 version 1903 was a feature update that was released several months ago in May 2019. A feature update is a major release that comes out twice a year around the Spring and Fall. Unless you have not updated your computer at all for some time, you probably already have version 1903 installed.

You can see what release of Windows you are currently running by using the command “winver”. You can run this by hitting the Windows Key + R and in the run box type “winver” and press enter.

I like to refer to the following page for information on the latest available build:
      https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/release-information/

The next major release (currently referred to as 19H2) is set to be released within the next month or so, however this time it is expected to be more like one of the smaller updates and not a full blown release like the usual ones.

The issue mentioned in Kim’s recent article is for one of the smaller patches that comes out every month, called KB4515384 (OS Build 18362.356) released on September 10th.

Uh oh: Windows 10 update breaks your antivirus program

Lostinmidameric
      @Lostinmidameric

I cannot save anything in documents or pictures since my last update. All files are read only and when I save a file or document I get a notice of document not found. There has got to be a fix somewhere.

Komando Community
      Participant
      @KomandoCommunity

@Lostinmidameric What build are you running? We can look to see if there is a known issue for the build you are on.

You can see what release of Windows you are currently running by using the command “winver”. You can run this by hitting the Windows Key + R and in the run box type “winver” and press enter.

Secretary662
      @Secretary662

I have a Komando 2-in-1 Entertainment and Productivity System (laptop). I receive requests to update Windows 10. Unfortunately, the system won’t let me because I get the error that I don’t have enough space on my C drive. It says that I need 10 GB to update Windows 10. I have a 128 GB SD chip in my D drive, but I don’t know how to make space in my C drive to accommodate Windows 10 to update. Please advise.

Komando Community
      Participant
      @KomandoCommunity

@Secretary662

You will want to free up enough space on the internal C drive in order to install the update. I would start with running disk cleanup. Often previous updates are stored for a period of time and they can take up a lot of space. Disk Cleanup will allow you to remove those and other temporary files. The steps for this and some other storage management options can be found below:

Disk Cleanup
      Here is how to run Disk cleanup in Windows 10
      https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4026616/windows-disk-cleanup-in-windows-10
      To delete temporary files:

Search for Disk Cleanup from the taskbar and select it from the list of results.
      Once Disk Clean up is open, select “Clean up system files” towards the bottom-left of the window.
      Select the file types to get rid of. To get a description of the file type, select it.

Tip: Select Previous Windows Installations, Temporary Windows Installation Files, (if available) to clear old updates.

Select OK.

Moving Apps
      Some apps can be moved to your SD card.
      Open the Start Menu.
      Select Settings.
      Go to System > Apps and Features.
      There will be a “Move” option next to any apps that support this.

Moving Other Files
      Open the Start Menu.
      Select Settings.
      Go to System > Storage
      Scroll down to Save Locations.
      You can change the different file types to automatically be stored on your SD card going forward.

Viewing 8 reply threads

You must be a Komando Community member to reply to this post. Sign up or log in.